Loyal GSU Supporter and Shaper of Atlanta Memorialized
In Memoriam: John Aderhold (1925—2011)
The Foundation lost one of its most prominent donors when John E. Aderhold passed away Aug.10.
Aderhold’s philanthropy was most apparent in the $2.5 million gift – in honor of his wife’s birthday in 1998 – that launched the Helen M. Aderhold Learning Center.
The “Aderhold,” as it is known on campus, hosts classes and lectures as one of GSU’s most prominent classroom buildings. The four-story building occupies the city block bound by Luckie, Forsyth, Poplar and Broad streets, across from the Rialto Center for the Performing Arts. The Aderhold Center includes a computer lab, 44 classrooms and two 200-seat lecture halls.
Helen Aderhold is a 1976 graduate of GSU who served as a university trustee for more than a decade. She is a longtime member of Georgia State’s Athletic Association and Alumni Association boards, and served as president of the Alumni Association from 1991 to 1992.
John Aderhold, a developer, was born and raised in Atlanta. As chairman of Aderhold Properties, he oversaw the creative reuse of historic buildings in downtown Atlanta. Many of these structures were cast off by almost everyone, but he saw possibility.
His projects not only won awards, but helped spur further urban revitalization efforts. He created an example of what could be accomplished when people decided to save pieces of Atlanta’s past.
Aderhold also lent his leadership to the Corporation for Olympic Development, Underground Atlanta and Georgia World Congress Authority. In 2001, Georgia State awarded him an honorary degree.
—By Michelle Hiskey; Contact Kim Cretors, (404) 413-3424